My Tenant Split Without Paying the Rent. What Are My Options?

Q: My tenant moved out of the Harlem condo unit that I own, leaving behind a significant debt and no forwarding address. She owes me $4,700 in unpaid rent and $15,000 in unpaid electricity bills. She began falling behind on the rent early in the pandemic when she lost some of her work contracts, and kept promising me that she would settle the debt. But when the lease expired, she moved out and ceased communications. Can I use her Social Security number to find her? How can I recover the losses?

A: Your tenant’s debt should not have grown as large as it did. Normally, a landlord would file a nonpayment case against such a tenant in housing court. But during the peak of the pandemic, housing court was closed and evictions were halted, limiting your options.

Sahred From Source link Real Estate

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.